I read Ahmed Yousef's opinion piece, Pause for Peace, in the NY Times last week, making the case for an extended hudna between Israelis and Palestinians. Ahmed Yousef is a political advisor to the Palestinian Prime Minister, Ismail Haniyah, and reading the article made me realise how rarely we hear representatives of Hamas speak directly to us in the U.S. media. Almost always we are told "what Hamas wants" or "what Hamas says" only through intermediaries; often - absurdly enough - intermediaries who earn their bread and butter through their association with pro-Israel thinktanks here in Washington. I thought it would be interesting to post links to other opinion pieces by members of the Hamas government, to see what they have to say in their own words. I've only found four so far, but will add others as I find them:
1. We will not sell our people or principles for foreign aid by Khalid Mish'al, head of the Hamas Politburo; The Guardian, 31 January 2006.
2. Sit and talk! by Ghazi Hamed, spokesman of the Hamas-led PA government; Bitterlemons.org, 6 February 2006.
3. Eye of the storm by Ghazi Hamed; Bitterlemons.org, 27 February 2006.
4. Hamas and sharia law by Yahya Mousa, PLC member representing Khan Younis and deputy head of the Hamas Parliamentary bloc; Bitterlemons-International.org, 9 March 2006.
5. We have what it takes to succeed by Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh; Bitterlemons.org, 13 March 2006.
6. A just peace or no peace by Ismail Haniyeh; The Guardian, 31 March 2006.
7. Talk to us by Sameer Abu Aisheh, PA Minister of Planning; Bitterlemons.org, 10 April 2006.
8. My Jerusalem by Muhammad Abu Tir, PLC Council Member; Maariv, 25 May 2006 ; English translation here by Rann Bar-On.
9. [Egypt plays] An important, historic role by Ghazi Hamed; Bitterlemons.org, 5 June 2006.
10. Between bad and worse: Dissolving the PA by Sayed Abu Msamih, PLC Member; Bitterlemons.org, 28 August 2006.
11. National unity is more important than foreign conditions by Yahya Mousa; Bitterlemons.org, 25 September 2006.
12. Pause for Peace by Ahmed Youssef; New York Times, 1 November 2006.
13. We overcame our fear by Jameela al-Shanti, PLC Member; The Guardian, 9 November 2006.
14. For present and future generations by Dr. Salah al-Bardawil, PLC member and head of the Hamas Parliamentary bloc; Bitterlemons.org, 20 November 2006.
15. Our unity can now pave the way for peace and justice by Khalid Mish'al; The Guardian, 13 February 2007.
16. 1967: Our rights have to be recognised by Ismail Haniyeh; The Guardian, CiF, 6 June 2007.
17. Engage With Hamas by Ahmed Youssef; Washington Post, 20 June 2007.
18. What Hamas Wants by Ahmed Youssef; New York Times, 20 June 2007.
19. Hamas' stand by Mousa Abu Marzook; Los Angeles Times, 10 July 2007.
20. Advice to Tony Blair by Ahmed Youssef; The Guardian, 24 July 2007.
21. Hamas is the key by Ahmed Youssef; Ha'aretz, 21 Sept 2007.
22. This is the era of wise men by Ghazi Hamad; via Checkpoint Jerusalem, 31 Oct 2007.
23. Palestinian revenge was inevitable by Ahmed Youssef; Ha'aretz, 12 Feb 2008.
23. No Peace Without Hamas by Mahmoud al-Zahar; Washington Post, 17 Apr 2008.
24. Hamas Condemns the Holocaust by Bassem Naeem; The Guardian, 12 May 2008.
25. This brutality will never break our will to be free by Khalid Mish'al; The Guardian, 6 Jan 2009.
26. Hamas Speaks: A legacy of suffering under Israel is what fuels Palestinian resistance by Mousa Abu Marzook ; The LA Times, 6 Jan 2009.